- 1 What do you do during an apartment tour?
- 2 What do I bring to an apartment tour?
- 3 What should you look for when inspecting an apartment?
- 4 How do I schedule an apartment tour?
- 5 Should you dress up for an apartment tour?
- 6 How should I dress for an apartment tour?
- 7 How do you ask for a lower rent price?
- 8 What should I look for in a new apartment?
- 9 What is the best month to look for an apartment?
- 10 Can landlord look in closets?
- 11 What furniture do I need for my first apartment?
- 12 How do you ask for an apartment availability?
What do you do during an apartment tour?
The perfect apartment tour checklist
- Check floors, walls and ceiling for any water damage, mold, mildew, etc.
- Open and close every window.
- Make sure all doors open and close securely.
- Plug something small, like a phone charger, into each outlet.
- Test all light switches to make sure they all work.
What do I bring to an apartment tour?
The exact items you will need to bring for your apartment viewing will vary depending on the landlord and location, but you can generally expect to present:
- Filled-Out Application.
- Photo ID.
- Bank Statements.
- Pay Stubs.
- Job History.
- Letters of Recommendation.
- A Rental History.
What should you look for when inspecting an apartment?
Apartment Rental Inspection Checklist
- Exterior doors, windows, and walkways. Doors.
- Climate Control. Locate your HVAC unit, water boiler, or any climate control system installed in your rental property.
- Electric. Outlets.
- Walls and Ceilings. Cracks and Chips.
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Detectors.
How do I schedule an apartment tour?
How to Set up an Apartment Viewing. Get ahold of the leasing office’s phone number from the apartment community’s website, and make the call during normal business hours—their hours will be on the site, as well. You will be contacting the landlord, property manager, or leasing agent (or whoever picks up the phone).
Should you dress up for an apartment tour?
You should look clean and presentable so professional or business casual attire is best. You can dress as if you are going to a job interview, but note that you may be walking around during your visit as the leasing agent or landlord gives you a tour of the property.
How should I dress for an apartment tour?
You’ll most likely be doing a bit of walking, so you’ll want to wear clothes and shoes that you’re also comfortable in. Appropriate outfits generally include khakis or dark pants with a blouse or button-up. If the apartment is more upscale, however, you may want to wear an outfit that’s a little dressier.
How do you ask for a lower rent price?
Here are some ways you can go about negotiating your rent price:
- Ask the landlord if rent price is open to discussion.
- Highlight your strengths as a tenant.
- Inquire about extending the lease.
- Offer to end the lease in the summer.
- Research the property’s value.
- Be open to compromise.
- Negotiate directly, follow up in writing.
What should I look for in a new apartment?
Throughout the apartment
- Walls. Check for cracks, structural holes or evidence of water leaks, especially around windows and vents.
- Electrical outlets. Make sure every plug in the apartment works.
- Cable hookups.
- Smoke detectors.
- Blinds and shades.
- Windows and doors.
What is the best month to look for an apartment?
Renters looking for the best options should plan to move between May and September; for the best prices, between October and April. These life and weather changes during the summer season mean a much higher turnover rate.
Can landlord look in closets?
Landlords usually can only justify looking into areas which are easily accessible to others who might be allowed to enter with your permission. So closets, cabinets and refrigerators are OK. They cannot, however, enter locked spaces for which they have no key if your lease with them is current.
What furniture do I need for my first apartment?
First Apartment Checklist: What You Should Buy After (or Before) Your Move
- Bed frame.
- Box spring or foundation.
- Vanity or desk.
- Comfy chair.
- Bedside/reading lamp.
- Laundry hamper.
- Closet storage solutions like a hanging closet organizer or shoe rack.
- Full-length mirror.
How do you ask for an apartment availability?
Start by introducing yourself and ask if they have the unit you want in the timeframe in which you’re looking to move. If so, ask the rent price, move-in availability and if it’s available to show.