- 1 What is the best apartment search site?
- 2 How do I find the perfect apartment for me?
- 3 What should I look for when checking out an apartment?
- 4 How do I choose my first apartment?
- 5 How much should I spend on an apartment?
- 6 How can I get an apartment fast?
- 7 What are three ways to find an apartment?
- 8 What do you do during an apartment walkthrough?
- 9 How do you ask for a lower rent price?
- 10 How do you make a bad apartment look good?
- 11 What is a good price for a first apartment?
- 12 What do you need in order to get an apartment?
- 13 How do I rent for the first time?
What is the best apartment search site?
We spent some time sorting through the best sites so you know where to look.
- Trulia. A clean, clear website that helps those looking to buy, sell, or rent homes all over the nation.
- Dixon Leasing.
How do I find the perfect apartment for me?
7 Steps for Choosing Your Dream Apartment
- Focus on the location. Location is quite possibly the most important aspect to consider before committing to a property.
- Find your ideal layout.
- Evaluate the space.
- Consider the amenities.
- Ask yourself if you can really afford it.
- Move quickly.
- Before you sign, read closely.
What should I look for when checking out an apartment?
It’s best to start with these since you’ll need to remember to check them out as you move from room-to-room.
- Walls. Check for cracks, structural holes or evidence of water leaks, especially around windows and vents.
- Electrical outlets.
- Cable hookups.
- Smoke detectors.
- Blinds and shades.
- Windows and doors.
How do I choose my first apartment?
11 Things to Look for in Your First Apartment
- CONSIDER THE COMMUTE.
- CHOOSE COMPATIBLE ROOMMATES.
- FIGURE OUT THE LAUNDRY SITUATION.
- SCOPE OUT THE NEIGHBORHOOD.
- ASK ABOUT UTILITES.
- LOOK FOR WORKING HEAT AND AIR.
- GET TO KNOW YOUR LANDLORD.
- ASSESS THE BUILDING’S SAFETY.
How much should I spend on an apartment?
One popular rule of thumb is the 30% rule, which says to spend around 30% of your gross income on rent. So if you earn $2,800 per month before taxes, you should spend about $840 per month on rent.
How can I get an apartment fast?
How to Find an Apartment Quickly
- Set your budget. Calculate your monthly expenses and determine how much rent you can afford.
- Choose a few potential neighborhoods.
- Make a list of desired apartment features.
- Search for apartments.
- Make phone calls.
- Tour apartments.
- Have your paperwork in order.
What are three ways to find an apartment?
8 Ways to Find Apartments for Rent
- Start your search 60 days before your move.
- Search for rental listings online.
- Use a real estate broker.
- Don’t be fooled by scams.
- Consider roommates.
- Offer to take a 13-month lease.
- Tour smaller buildings.
- Use social media.
What do you do during an apartment walkthrough?
Here are some of the things you’ll want to look for during your apartment walkthrough. Security
- Check the locks. Do they all work?
- Ensure there are smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Test them to ensure they’re on and working.
- If there’s a security system, make sure it’s functioning.
How do you ask for a lower rent price?
Here are some ways you can go about negotiating your rent price:
- Ask the landlord if rent price is open to discussion.
- Highlight your strengths as a tenant.
- Inquire about extending the lease.
- Offer to end the lease in the summer.
- Research the property’s value.
- Be open to compromise.
- Negotiate directly, follow up in writing.
How do you make a bad apartment look good?
Simple, Cheap Changes to Make Your Crappy Apartment Feel Like Home
- Look for ‘vintage’ deals.
- Upgrade your shower.
- Artwork and mirrors.
- Mount your TV.
- Tap into your inner Michelangelo.
- Play around with lighting.
- Try some ‘floating’ decor.
- Update the cabinets.
What is a good price for a first apartment?
There’s a popular rule of thumb that states your monthly rent shouldn’t be more than one-third of your monthly income, and many apartment complexes—and landlords—follow this rule. 6 For example, if you earn $3,000 a month, you can qualify for an apartment that costs $1,000 a month.
What do you need in order to get an apartment?
What You Need to Rent an Apartment
- Proof of Identification. You should have identification such as a driver’s license, state ID, passport, or green card to confirm your identity and residency.
- Proof of Income.
- Recommendation Letters.
- Vehicle Registration & Proof of Insurance.
- Rental History.
How do I rent for the first time?
How to apply for a rental property if you’re a casual worker
- Bank statements showing recent payments from casual work.
- A recent tax return showing your annual earnings.
- A letter from your employer verifying your income and character.
- A rental ledger showing proof of previous rental payments made.