- 1 What is illegal occupancy?
- 2 How do I report an illegal basement apartment in NYC?
- 3 How do I report an illegal basement apartment in Toronto?
- 4 On what grounds can I evict a tenant?
- 5 Can a landlord collect rent without a certificate of occupancy NJ?
- 6 What makes an apartment illegal in NY?
- 7 Can I sue my landlord for renting an illegal apartment Massachusetts?
- 8 What makes a basement apartment legal in NYC?
- 9 What is an illegal basement?
- 10 How do I report an illegal basement apartment in Mississauga?
- 11 How do I make my basement apartment legal in Ontario?
- 12 What happens if a tenant refuses to leave?
- 13 How can I remove a tenant without a tenancy agreement?
- 14 Will I be rehoused if I get evicted?
What is illegal occupancy?
Unlawful occupancy means a situation where a person has been ordered to move by a court of competent jurisdiction prior to the initiation of negotiations or is determined by the department to be a squatter who is occupying the real property without the permission of the owner and otherwise has no legal right to occupy
How do I report an illegal basement apartment in NYC?
If you suspect an illegal conversion call 311 to have a Buildings Inspector routed to the site to inspect the property. You can also check the legal use of a building by visiting the Department’s website and viewing the building’s Certificate of Occupancy through the Department’s Buildings Information System.
How do I report an illegal basement apartment in Toronto?
You can call 311 or email [email protected] toronto.ca to submit a complaint (service request) to the City.
On what grounds can I evict a tenant?
However, there are a few grounds that lead to an immediate eviction, if proven.
- Repairs or development. The landlord needs to carry out extensive repairs to the property.
- Rent arrears. You have fallen behind with the rent.
- Late rental payments.
- Breach of contract.
- Anti-social behaviour.
Can a landlord collect rent without a certificate of occupancy NJ?
Unlike the Landlord Registration Statement, a Certificate of Occupancy is not a requirement for evicting a tenant in New Jersey. The lack of a Certificate of Occupancy may, however, bar recovery of rents in a civil action.
What makes an apartment illegal in NY?
When an apartment is illegal, the space should not be used to live in, a landlord or owner can’t collect rent. The apartment has no inside plumbing, bathroom or cooking places or the bathroom or kitchen facilities are separated, like if the toilet and the shower/bath are in different rooms.
Can I sue my landlord for renting an illegal apartment Massachusetts?
No, you can ‘t sue your landlord for renting you an illegal apartment.
What makes a basement apartment legal in NYC?
Basements and cellars in residential properties of all sizes can NEVER be lawfully rented or occupied unless the conditions meet the minimum requirements for light, air, sanitation and egress, and have received approval by the Department of Buildings (DOB).
What is an illegal basement?
What makes a basement suite illegal? Any suite that was built without the proper permits, or was built in an area of the city where secondary suites aren’t permitted is considered an illegal suit.
How do I report an illegal basement apartment in Mississauga?
To report an illegal second unit, first check the Second Units Registry List. If it’s not registered, then call 311 (905-615-4311 from outside City limits).
How do I make my basement apartment legal in Ontario?
How Do I know if my Basement Apartment is Legal?
- Fire Certificate from Local Fire Authority (or Fire Chief)
- ESA Certificate, or ESA Sticker.
- Building Permit Completion or Certificate of Compliance from the Municipal Building Department – In some Municipalities this could also be proof of Registration.
What happens if a tenant refuses to leave?
Approach The Court Of Law You will have to send a legal notice to your tenant asking him/her to pay the arrears of rent or else to vacate within a month. The tenant has to pay rent in the court once it is assessed by the court and in case he/she fails, it invites immediate eviction.
How can I remove a tenant without a tenancy agreement?
Eviction: If there is no written contract, a landlord cannot evict a tenant through the ‘accelerated’ no-fault eviction process, which is also called a Section 21 notice. Instead, they may have to use the much longer and more expensive Section 8 notice and go through the courts.
Will I be rehoused if I get evicted?
If you’re going to be homeless after the eviction, it’s possible the council will have to rehouse you. If you can ‘t persuade your landlord to let you stay, you might be able to persuade the court to stop the eviction if either of the following applies: you can now pay your rent and arrears.