- 1 What should I know before moving into my first apartment?
- 2 What do you say when you inquire about an apartment?
- 3 What is the best month to move into an apartment?
- 4 How should I prepare for an apartment viewing?
- 5 How much should I save before moving into an apartment?
- 6 Can you negotiate rent for an apartment?
- 7 How do you talk down your rent?
- 8 How do I impress a rental agent?
- 9 What is the cheapest month to move into an apartment?
- 10 What month do most leases end?
- 11 What day of the week are apartments cheapest?
- 12 Should you tour an apartment before applying?
What should I know before moving into my first apartment?
Things to Do When Moving into Your First Apartment
- DO save up.
- DO make a budget and stick to it.
- DO choose the right location.
- DO inspect potential apartments.
- DO be careful with the lease.
- DO know the rules.
- DO make a floor plan of your new place.
- DO sort out your belongings and get rid of unneeded items.
What do you say when you inquire about an apartment?
- State who you are and why you need a rental.
- Mention where you found their ad and how you can afford the rental.
- Offer to provide references (work/volunteer/housing office)
What is the best month to move into an apartment?
Renters looking for the best options should plan to move between May and September; for the best prices, between October and April. These life and weather changes during the summer season mean a much higher turnover rate.
How should I prepare for an apartment viewing?
The perfect apartment tour checklist
- Check floors, walls and ceiling for any water damage, mold, mildew, etc.
- Open and close every window.
- Make sure all doors open and close securely.
- Plug something small, like a phone charger, into each outlet.
- Test all light switches to make sure they all work.
How much should I save before moving into an apartment?
A popular rule of thumb says your income should be around 3 times your rent. So, if you’re looking for a place that costs $1,000 per month, you may need to earn at least $3,000 per month. Many apartment complexes and landlords do follow this rule, so it makes sense to focus only on rentals you’re likely to qualify for.
Can you negotiate rent for an apartment?
Can You Negotiate Your Rent? Yes, rent prices are negotiable. You can negotiate your rent before signing a new lease and when it’s time to renew your current lease. In some instances, you can renegotiate your rent before your lease ends.
How do you talk down your rent?
Here are some ways you can go about negotiating your rent price:
- Ask the landlord if rent price is open to discussion.
- Highlight your strengths as a tenant.
- Inquire about extending the lease.
- Offer to end the lease in the summer.
- Research the property’s value.
- Be open to compromise.
- Negotiate directly, follow up in writing.
How do I impress a rental agent?
10 ways to impress a rental property manager
- be prepared.
- fill it in.
- 3. have backup ready.
- don’t hesitate.
- don’t forget anyone.
- give your reference a heads up.
- give it a year.
- supporting docs.
What is the cheapest month to move into an apartment?
A recent study from apartment listing site RentHop found that renters could potentially save hundreds of dollars a year by timing their apartment search. The data showed that the cheapest months to rent tended to be between December and March, whereas the most expensive fell between May and October.
What month do most leases end?
Absolutely. Most leases expire at the end of the month and require notice 30 days before leaving. Start looking around that time, and you’ll be finding apartments right as they’re going up on the market. If you want to move in December, start looking in the last couple of weeks of November.
What day of the week are apartments cheapest?
Just like airplane ticket prices, apartment prices can also fluctuate depending on the day. Research shows that the best rates are typically found on Mondays and Fridays, while the most expensive days to secure an apartment are Tuesdays of Sundays.
Should you tour an apartment before applying?
An open house or apartment tour on a Saturday could lead to a signed lease on Sunday. That’s why we recommend starting your search 30-60 days before your desired move-in date. The rental inventory will be up to date during your search and you ‘ll be ready to move in fairly soon once you find something.